Monday 31 May 2021

Scrappy Table Mat




I love making these, they use up scraps and make the table pretty. 
I make them in all kinds of sizes, really what fits the scrap blocks or pieces I'm using 
I used them for small serving mats (under chip bowls etc) I put plants on them, picture, basically I used them where I want to protect a table, shelf etc. 
I don't use batting in mine unless its something I want to use to put a hot pot on. 

You need scrap blocks and a binding an inch larger on all sides 

Make your patchy top piece. 
Place in the center of the backing (backing wrong side up)
Pin and quilt. I usually follow grid lines, but do what you like. Leave the corners unsewn and only sew on the top piece. 



Trim the sides if you need to. Make sure there is 1 inch on each side.


Tuck the corners of the backing under the front like shown below


Fold the backing in half until it meets the edge of the front. You can use clips or iron if you want.


Fold the backing in half again, this time onto the front. The corners should be nicely mitered. 
Hand or machine stich. 




 Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment